Friday, April 27, 2012

I Must Be So(ck) Crazy !

In the last 2 weeks, I have cast on 3 sock projects! This is the 1st time, for a long while, that I have spent so much time knitting socks. I sort of lost my sock mojo & only managed to knit 4 pairs in 2 years.

Suddenly I had this urge to knit socks & since January, I finished off 2 pairs that were half completed & I got my mojo back. So I cast on ......
.... Vintage Kneesocks. I have always wanted to knit a pair of knee socks & I love Wendy's designs as they are all toe-ups. As they are vintage socks, I decided to use undyed sock yarn which I bought from a friend.

I have started the increases for the calf & the sock is knitting up fast. The lace pattern is easy but I still need to refer to the pattern as I can't remember the 30 row pattern. I love the look of the lace ....
The markers are there to mark each repeat of the pattern. These are my favorite markers & I don't think I can knit without them. I don't use a row counter anymore as these markers are my counters.

Last weekend, I cast on my 2nd sock project as I wanted an easy project to knit on while we drive 3 hours to the wine region, Margaret River. As it's nearing winter & my husband needs more socks, I decided to knit him a pair.
It's a plain sock with a ribbed leg. I finished one sock during the 6 hours drive (to & back) & just turned the heel of the 2nd sock. I think he should have a pair by this weekend. I used the stitch pattern for the Skyp Socks on the leg as it's a 6x2 rib pattern.

While I was in Margaret River, I visited a local yarn shop & met up with the owner. I have heard that she is looking for someone to teach a sock class. We got talking & she gave me a ball of Zig Zag sock yarn to knit with as she wanted feedback on the yarn. 

So when I got home, I cast on my 3rd sock project .....
..... I am using a stitch called Bamboo Stitch which I found in one of my books. It was hard looking for a stitch pattern for this yarn as it's so variegated. I think this stitch pattern works well with the colors & reminds me of the scales on a koi fish.

Well, I know I will be busy for a while with these 3 projects plus 2 other projects that I have been working on, so better get back to knitting !

4 comments:

Bogie said...

Yes, scales! I clicked on the photo and thought the same thing before I read your text. Now I want to knit socks darn it.

Rose Red said...

I have had an urge to cast on lots of socks lately but have resisted so far - except for a pair of plain socks for husby (we all know that everyone should have a plain pair of socks on the go at all times!). But you are such a fast knitter, I bet you will have all these done in no time!

2paw said...

I must knit cardigans and not socks right now but your knee socks are just gorgeous!! I couldn't remember 30 row pattern repeat either. The Skyp socks are really popular right now and the ZigZag is so pretty.

Roseann said...

I'm so happy to see the return of your sock mojo :) I especially like your Bamboo stitch socks, you have such a knack for combining color and texture perfectly! Your vintage knee socks are so dainty. That is a lovely cable in your husband's socks. Thank you for such an inspriring blog!